Why should I have a Thyroid Ultrasound Exam?
There are many reasons for examining the thyroid with ultrasound. The most common reason is to provide more information for your doctor about the following:
- A mass your doctor felt while examining you;
- Something unusual was found by other exams, such as a nuclear scan, a CT scan, or an MRI exam;
- What caused your thyroid gland to get larger;
- What caused the pain or swelling in your thyroid gland; or
- Abnormalities in your thyroid, such as masses or cysts.
A sonogram may not provide all the information your doctor needs. In these cases, more studies or tests may be needed. These may include blood tests; a biopsy in which your doctor removes a small amount of cells or fluid; or other types of ultrasound examinations.
Posted on June 9, 2017
Posted on May 19, 2017
Posted on March 17, 2017